A fun little corduroy mod dress.
The first challenge was in matching the pattern across the back seam. This was not simple since the chevron design is not symmetrical. So I cut out one side of the back and laid it on the fabric in a place where it matched perfectly.
I also pinned it together before sewing and folded it back to check the pieces. I adjusted them and pressed a crease at the place where I would stitch.
It is a tedious process for one seam, but the finished garment is so much better. I use this technique when making Hawaiian shirts with large print designs.
It was quick to make but I wasn't quite ready for how loose it was. It looked a little like a sack. So I reshaped the back and I love it.
To reshape the back, I put on the dress and pinned it with two darts at the waist...not an easy task on myself. I then placed it on the ironing board to measure and mark the darts with chalk, making them symmetrical. At first I just stitched the pinched out pieces, about 1 1/2 inches long, and sewed a little band across, leaving the top and bottom of the tuck to fold loosely.
It looked terrible.
So I layed it back down and shaped the darts, then pressed them in place. I top stitched them after pinning. It gave the dress an interesting back and a nice shape.
I hemmed it with a contrasting fabric because I barely had enough of the corduroy to make the dress. I didn't want the dress to be any shorter. The band gave the dress a tad more length and a nice sharp edge.
The final touch was the pocket with the big buttons. The buttons don't actually match, they were the same size though.
In the end, I am very happy with the dress. I will wear it with black leggings and boots or flats. In the winter, I can wear a long sleeve shirt underneath.